Congratulations, You Are the New FD! Now What? - Webinar
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:00am-10:30am
Are you wondering what it's like to be a new Finance Director, or are you about to step into such a role? This webinar is for you.
Advance registration required for this no-charge webinar:
1. What are the biggest challenges in the Finance Director position?
2. How can you communicate effectively with other department heads, city managers, and elected officials as well as your own staff?
3. What action plans will help you get a handle on the job, plan strategically, and implement an annual budget for the first time?
* Jaime Boscarino, Finance Director, Thousand Oaks, CA
* Dustin Claussen, Finance Director, Hayward, CA
* Robert Hamud, Finance Director, Snoqualmie, WA
Audience: finance professionals interested in the roles and responsibilities of new Finance Directors
Get connected with these steps.
1. Register in advance for the webinar:
There is no charge for participating in the webinars, but each requires advance registration.
*** Advance registration required for this no-charge webinar:
Be sure to "white list" or "allow" emails from [email protected] to receive notices for this webinar.
2. Connect with the webinar and audio:
Use your logon information from the email confirmation you receive via email from GoToWebinar. We recommend the telephone option dial-in number provided by GoToWebinar for sound quality. Depending upon your internet connection, VOIP option for audio (computer speakers) can have delays or sound quality issues.
3. Ask questions:
You may submit questions anonymously via email to [email protected] in advance or via the webinar during the panel discussion. As moderator for the session, Don Maruska will pose the questions.
4. Presenters' presentation materials: We post these with the agenda at "Agendas & Archives" tab of www.csmfo.org/training/webinars. The PPT will be available 24 hours before the webinar.
After a webinar occurs, a digital recording along with the PowerPoint materials and results of the polling questions will be available after 24 hours at the "Agendas & Archives" tab of www.csmfo.org/training/webinars.
CPE Credits: If you are a member of CSMFO and wish to obtain CPE credit, you need to register and attend in your name, indicate that you wish to receive CPE credit in the registration process, and respond to at least 75% of the live polling questions. CSMFO staff will review the results and send CPE certificates via email to those who have qualified. CSMFO has waived the fee for members.
Post-Webinar Group Discussions
Many agencies are organizing groups to participate in the webinars (live or recorded) and discuss the topics among themselves after the webinars. Some are summarizing their discussions and distributing them to managers throughout their organizations. Use the CSMFO Coaching Program as an effective way to enhance professional development in your agency. Here are some discussion starters for this session:
a. What will be most important for me to do in preparation for a Finance Director role?
b. How can I develop the skills and get the support of others to succeed?
c. What resources will I tap?
MORE RESOURCES--See the "Coaching Corner" at www.csmfo.org/coaching for valuable resources to boost your career. These include a Financial Management Skills Inventory, Resource Matrix, Coaches Gallery of 24 volunteer CSMFO Coaches willing to help you on a one-to-one basis, and an archive of digital recordings and materials from past webinars at www.csmfo.org/training/webinars.
Enjoy the resources to help you succeed in local government finance.