"How do California Pensions Measure-up Nationally?" - Webinar
Tuesday, February 25, 2020 | 9:00 - 10:30 am
With increases in CalPERS contribution requirements, local government finance professionals need to be ready to present and explain the data driving the numbers and what it means for their community.
Register for this webinar to learn the latest on how CalPERS compares to other pension plans and obtain helpful suggestions for communicating this critical information in key budget and other planning situations.
Advance registration required for this no-charge webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5118990093067469323
1. How have California pensions performed relative to expectations? What are the current discussions around pensions across the state?
2. How does this performance measure against a national backdrop?
3. How can this information be utilized to inform California-specific discussions?
4.How can local government professionals communicate this information to elected officials, labor groups, and public
* Todd Tauzer, FSA, CERA, FCA, MAAA, Vice President & Consulting Actuary, Segal
* Kurt Schneider, Supervising Pension Actuary, CalPERS
* Dan Matusiewicz, CCMT, CFIP, Finance Director/Treasurer, City of Newport Beach
* Local government finance professionals
Get Connected with these Steps
1. Register in advance for the webinar:
There is no charge for participating in the webinars, but each requires advance registration.
*** Advance registration required for this no-charge webinar: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5118990093067469323
IMPORTANT: Be sure to "white list" or "allow" emails from [email protected] to receive notices for this webinar.
2. Connect with the webinar and audio:
Use your logon information from the email confirmation you receive via email from GoToWebinar. We recommend the telephone option dial-in number provided by GoToWebinar for sound quality. Depending upon your internet connection, VOIP option for audio (computer speakers) can sometimes have delays or sound quality issues.
3. Ask questions:
You may submit questions anonymously via email to [email protected] in advance or via the webinar during the panel discussion. As moderator for the session, Craig Lesner will pose the questions.
4. Presenters’ presentation materials: We post these with the agenda at “Agendas & Archives” tab of www.csmfo.org/training/webinars. The PPT will be available 24 hours before the webinar.
After a webinar occurs, a digital recording along with the PowerPoint materials and results of the polling questions will be available after 24 hours at the "Agendas & Archives" tab of www.csmfo.org/training/webinars.
Other Important Items
If you are a member of CSMFO in California and wish to obtain 1.5 CPE credit, you need to register and attend in your name, indicate that you wish to receive 1.5 CPE credit in the registration process, and respond to at least 75% of the live polling questions. CSMFO staff will review the results and send 1.5 CPE certificates via email to those who have qualified. CSMFO has waived the fee for members in California. If you are from a state other than California, you need to express your interest in CPE credits to your state association.
Post-Webinar Group Discussions:
Many agencies are organizing groups to participate in the webinars (live or recorded) and discuss the topics among themselves after the webinars. Some are summarizing their discussions and distributing them to managers throughout their organizations.
Use the CSMFO Coaching Program as an effective way to enhance professional development in your agency. Here are some discussion starters for this session:
1. What are the implications of changes in pension performance?
2. How will we communicate the information?
3. What’s our plan for managing CalPERS contribution requirements?
See the "Coaching Corner" at www.csmfo.org/coaching for valuable resources to boost your career. These include a Financial Management Skills Inventory, Resource Matrix, Coaches Gallery of 24 volunteer CSMFO Coaches willing to help you on a one-to-one basis, and an archive of digital recordings and materials from past webinars at www.csmfo.org/training/webinars.
Enjoy the resources to help you succeed in local government finance.