Annual Salary Range: Depending on qualifications /experience.
Financial Analyst I $71,836 – $94,557
Financial Analyst II $79,336 - $104,431
Located at the southern end of San Francisco Bay, Milpitas is a progressive community that is an integral part of Silicon Valley. As a full-service city of 389 full-time employees with water utility, sewer utility, police and fire services, Milpitas serves a diverse population of nearly 80,000. The city has an annual $147 million operating budget and a $315 million capital improvements budget.
Milpitas is the eighth-fastest growing city in the United States according to the US Census, and the second-fastest in California. It has the third highest job growth among the 515 qualifying cities rated by Wallet Hub. The homeownership rate is close to 70%, and the Milpitas housing market remains relatively affordable in Santa Clara County. Milpitas is often called the "Crossroads of Silicon Valley" with most of its 14 square miles situated between two major freeways (I-880 and I-680), Route 237, and a County expressway. In June 2018, Livability Magazine ranked Milpitas fifth by out of more than 2,000 American cities for “Best Cities for STEM Workers.”
We encourage you to check us out at: http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/
The Finance Department is recruiting for two positions: Financial Analyst I and/or II, with level determined by experience and qualifications.
What You Will Do
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- One Analyst will focus primarily on the City’s budget process and also provide high-level analytical support for external and internal financial reporting, expense and revenue tracking, equipment inventory database, budget process improvements, budgetary community engagement, and implementation of a new budget system.
- One Analyst will be a generalist, providing high-level analytical support for developing new internal controls, policies, and procedures, and implementing projects such as a contract management program, cost allocation plan, enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, utility rate studies, new debt issuances, and maximizing investment returns.
- Some work of the selected Analysts will overlap and collaboration will occur on assignments as needed.
Experience and Education
Financial Analyst I:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Management Information System or a closely related field.
- One (1) year of responsible, professional budgeting, accounting, or financial analysis experience in a business or government agency.
Financial Analyst II:
In addition to the above for Financial Analyst I, three (3) years of responsible technical or financial experience in an in a business or government agency; with government agency experience highly preferred.
License and Other Requirements
Possession of an appropriate, valid California Driver’s License may be required.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment.
- Incumbent will be able to work in a standard office environment; able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of Milpitas.
- Work unusual hours, weekends and overtime in the performance duties in order to meet deadlines and achieve objectives.
The City provides an excellent array of benefits that you’ll find online at: http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/milpitas/departments/about-human-resources-2/benefits/
The Mid-Management Confidential bargaining group represents this position. Benefits Information is available online at: http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/UPEC-Mid-Mgmt-Confidential-Unit.pdf
The City of Milpitas is an Equal Opportunity/ADA employer. Reasonable accommodation in the application, examination, and selection process will be made upon request to Human Resources at (408) 586-3090. The information contained in this announcement does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and these provisions are subject to change.
Applicants whose qualifications best meet our current needs will be invited to participate in the selection process tentatively scheduled for November 12th and 14th. The process may consist of an assessment of the candidate’s written skills, computer skills, and an oral board interview. Meeting the minimum requirements listed in this job announcement does not guarantee advancement in subsequent phases of the selection process.
Submit application, supplemental questions, resume and copies of required certificates (if applicable) online at: https://www.calopps.org/milpitas/job-19064402
A complete job description is available on the City of Milpitas website: http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/ (under Classification and Compensation) or from Human Resources.
The City reserves the right to close or re-open the recruitment at any time. Incomplete and/or inaccurate application materials may result in disqualification from the recruitment process. Candidates will receive all communications by email regarding the recruitment process, which includes, but is not limited to, application status, testing dates, and interview scheduling. If you require alternate communications, please contact Human Resources at (408) 586-3090.
Close Date: Friday, October 26, 2018