City of Wasco, California
Salary Range: $104,000 -$133,000 (DOQ)
The City of Wasco is seeking a capable and forward thinking professional to serve as the City’s Finance Director. This position reports directly to the City Manager. The ideal candidate will take the lead role in establishing the management of the City’s finances as well as responsibility in the development of the annual City budget. The position is responsible for finance and accounting, treasury function, capital projects, debt administration, and City’s utility billing.
The City of Wasco is a vibrant and diverse community located in the heart of the most diversified agricultural region in the world. With a population of nearly 28,000 Wasco and area of 9.43 square miles, Wasco has grown to a comfortable size while retaining all the benefits of a small city. Highways 46 and 99 and Interstate 5 all provide easy access to other areas throughout the state. Wasco is located just thirty minutes northwest of Bakersfield. The scenic Pacific Coastline is a two hour drive west on Highway 46 and the high Sierra Nevada’s are two hours east, Los Angeles lies two hours away to the south and the San Francisco Bay area and Yosemite National Park are an easy 3 hour drive.
Wasco is a growing community with a rich history and new residential subdivisions being constructed in addition to recently developed retail businesses. The City has a great deal to offer to its residents, families, and employees with excellent schools, recreational programs, amenities, community events and festivals.
Required Skills and Experience:
Any combination of experience and education that would be likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities could be qualifying, as determined by the City. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities is:
Experience – 3-4 years of progressively responsible experience in accounting or financial management, preferably in a public agency or governmental setting in a supervisory capacity.
Education - Graduating from a four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, business administration, finance or a closely related field. Master’s Degree and/or certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO), or similar certification desirable but not required.
Other desirable traits:
• A forward-looking and open-minded leader who can help to identify long-term goals and help guide the finance department and community into the future.
• A confident leader with a background in finance and accounting who can acknowledge and appreciate the strengths of the City’s management team and staff and provide them the ability and freedom to do their jobs with guidance and support.
• An excellent communicator, verbally and in writing, with the ability to synthesize complicated topics into information that is easy to understand.
• A commitment to transparency and the highest ideals of integrity and ethical standards in furtherance of our mission to public service.
• A culturally aware and competent leader who embraces diversity.
• A person with a great attitude and upbeat demeanor.
• A commitment to professional development and mentorship of others within the organizations.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary range for the position is $104,000 - $133,000
The City offers a competitive benefits package which includes medical, visions, and dental benefits in addition to leave benefits.
The City participates in CalPERS.
The City also operates under a 9/80 work schedule for most administrative offices. City offices are closed every other Friday under this schedule.