$30.01 - $36.48 per hour
About the Position
This classification is responsible for performing a variety of journey level clerical and technical accounting duties, including. calculating, reviewing, verifying and posting payroll, timekeeping and personnel information; inputting data regarding personnel, payroll and timekeeping into a manual or automated system; generating and reviewing a variety of reports on a routine basis, detecting and responding to due dates, errors, and discrepancies; and reading, analyzing and interpreting Memoranda of Understanding (MOU's) for represented employee organizations.
This position is distinguished from the Accounting Technician I by demonstrating proficiency in all areas of technical accounting and functioning as the lead in the preparation and maintenance of accounting records pertaining to Payroll. In addition to proficiencies in the payroll functions, incumbents are expected to be knowledgeable in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Purchasing, Business Registration, and General Ledger maintenance.
Provides lead direction to clerical and technical staff, but does not exercise full supervisory responsibilities. Receives general supervision from the Financial Services Manager.
Prepare and maintain the City’s payroll information, which includes but is not limited to:
· Calculates, posts and audits payroll and timekeeping information, utilizing basic mathematical techniques in order to document and assure the accuracy of employee work hours, vacation hours, sick pay credits, leave credits, State Disability Insurance, Worker's Compensation and other related calculations.
· Maintain employee payroll files and keep records of employee benefits (e.g. health insurance, retirement contribution, deferred compensation) and payroll deductions and use this information to prepare Annual Benefit Statement.
· Prepare payroll journal vouchers and reconciling payroll related benefit account balances to the general ledger.
· Consult and coordinate with the Human Resources Department as needed in an effective and efficient manner.
· Provides courteous, flexible and satisfactory customer service by responding to routine timekeeping and payroll inquiries, resolving discrepancies and/or clarifying procedures for employees, supervisors, managers and others, both in person and over the telephone.
Business Registration Functions:
Process the City’s business registration function, which includes but is not limited to:
· Process, verify, and ensure accuracy and mailing of business registration, renewals, and delinquent notices.
· Respond to inquiries with the business community on issues relating to City Code and procedures to obtain a business registration and providing Business Registration reports for internal and external use.
· Perform business registration audit.
· Maintain business registration application file.
Accounts Receivable Functions:
Perform the City’s accounts receivable function, which includes but is not limited to:
· Use established procedures and practices, receiving and recording revenue.
· Prepare journal vouchers and reconcile the accounts receivable balances in the general ledger.
· Input and maintain cash receipt records, accounts receivable registers, report of invoice, aging report, and other financial records.
· Maintain file of miscellaneous accounts receivable including initiation of billings, collections, and follow-up on accounts.
· Review and update contract and lease agreements for compliance and make necessary adjustments.
Accounts Payable Functions:
Processes the Accounts Payable, which includes but is not limited to:
§ Review payment requests from and processing payments to vendors for various City departments and agencies.
· Audit invoices against services or products delivered by verifying the mathematical accuracy, completeness, and compliance with established standards and procedures.
· Prepare payment authorization requests for the Finance Department.
· Process purchase requisitions and maintain open purchase order accounts.
· Handle equipment and office supply purchases and maintenance of equipment for the department.
· Maintain the City surplus equipment list and assist in the process of auctioning surplus items.
· File Independent Contractor Service and year-end 1099 reports to the required governmental agencies.
· Maintain accounts payable registers, ledgers, and other financial records. Reconcile accounts and reconstruct accounting record trails in order to locate and correct errors or to determine reasons for imbalances.
· Reconcile payable account balance to the balance in the general ledger.
· Research and answer finance related questions from the general public and the City staff.
· Maintain budget files, provide payroll data for budget, and enter budget detail.
· Enter journal vouchers to the financial system and distribute Financial Reports to City Departments.
· Assist Senior Accountant(s) with reconciling bank statements.
· Audit cash received versus cash receipts, balance cash, prepare deposit report, enter cash receipts to the financial system, and make deposits to the bank.
· Prepare work papers and perform analyses in support of Annual Audit.
· Provide assistance to supervisor in implementing new programs.
· Maintain effective working relationships with City employees and with the public.
· Assist in fixed assets accounting.
· File Federal and State wage and benefit reports, taxes and returns, and EEOC Report.
Perform similar related tasks not listed here as assigned.
Job-Related and Essential Qualifications
Knowledge of methods, practices, and terminology used in financial record keeping; practices related to accounts payable, billing, and payroll; general office practices and equipment; business methods; government accounting system requirements and procedures; computer spreadsheet software.
Ability and skills to learn, retain, interpret, and use financial policies and procedures; prepare accurate mathematical computations and timely submission of reports; accurately maintain complex financial and statistical data and records. Efficiently operate a variety of office equipment, including computer, typewriter, and calculator. Effectively and efficiently prioritize work and meet deadlines; comprehend and accurately follow brief oral and written instructions; work without direct supervision; provide effective technical supervision to clerical staff. Establish, maintain, and foster cooperative working relations with internal and external customers, expressing self clearly and concisely in both verbal and written form.
Education and Training
Graduation from high school or its equivalent and completion of two (2) classes in bookkeeping or accounting and three (3) years of work experience as an entry level accounting technician. Experience with spreadsheet and word processing applications. Experience with on-line financial systems is desirable. Ten-key by touch is required.
Clarity, conciseness, and completeness of responses are factors considered in the qualification screening process. Each of your responses will be evaluated and only those applicants who demonstrate the best potential in meeting the City’s needs will be given further consideration in the selection process.
- Briefly describe your experience with payroll. Please include the payroll system used and the number of employees included in the payroll.
- Briefly describe your experience analyzing, interpreting, and implementing changes in Memoranda of Understanding (MOU's) for represented employee organizations or other changes of benefits.
- Please describe in detail your experience in providing customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Describe your knowledge of MS Excel and provide a written description of a complicated spreadsheet that you have created.