The City of Hughson is seeking to fill the position of Finance and Administrative Services Director. This position is the department head level class which oversees all functions and operations of the traditional Finance and Administrative Services Departments and is responsible for originating, carrying out, reviewing, interpreting and coordinating policies in the administration of a diversified accounting, investment and information services operation, human resources and risk management program, and oversight of all agenda management, city clerking functions and information technology. Receives administrative direction from the City Manager. Exercises direct and indirect supervision over professional, technical and office support personnel.
The Ideal Candidate Will Possess
- Effective leadership qualities that inspire a dedicated staff, team of professional consultants and key partners.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to communicate effectively with personnel, community, labor union and legislative bodies.
- Demonstrated expertise as a self-directed problem-solver with high standards for quality and a strong commitment to public service.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and accomplish multiple projects simultaneously, take prompt action to achieve objectives as well as identify issues as they arise and address them proactively.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with management, staff, City Council, commissions, partners and the public.
- Strong foundation in accounting (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and auditing (Audit Planning and Standards).
- Professional experience in the areas of public finance and budgeting management.
- Ability to assess and evaluate internal processes and controls and make continuous improvement.
Essential Functions (include but are not limited to the following):
- Accepts full responsibility for all Finance and Administrative Services Department activities and services, including budgeting, general accounting, auditing, payroll processing, utility billing, business licenses, personnel, risk management, agenda management, clerking and information technology.
Plans, develops and implements departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures for improving organizational performance, enhancing services and meeting goals; ensures that goals are achieved.
Plans, directs and coordinates the Department’s work plan; assigns work activities and responsibilities to appropriate department personnel; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures; identifies and resolves problems and/or issues.
Maintains the City’s insurance and safety programs; manages all claims filed against the City for liability and worker’s compensation.
Reviews, recommends, and approves all purchases for the Department in accordance with purchasing policies and procedures.
Serves as a resource for department personnel, City staff and other organizations; coordinates pertinent information, resources and work teams necessary to support a positive and productive environment.
Directs and participates in all financial management and information system activities; manages and coordinates the City’s investment portfolio, administers debt financing programs and secures tax-exempt and other types of financing; reviews, evaluates and recommends improvements to administrative and financial internal control systems and procedures; directs and participates in the preparation of a specific studies, fiscal and budgetary analyses and projections.
Serves as liaison with federal, state, regional, county, city and special district agencies; provides responsible and complex staff support to the City Council, City Manager and Department managers; develops recommendations for policies, laws, ordinances, resolutions and programs.
Prepares, manages and administers the development of the citywide and Finance and Administrative Services budget; prepares forecasts of necessary funds for staffing, materials and supplies; presents, justifies and defends programs, operations and activities; monitors and approves expenditures; discusses and resolves budget issues with appropriate staff; implements adjustments as necessary; plan, organize and develop the City’s annual operating and capital improvement budgets.
Compensation and Benefits
$7,013.01 — $8,524.35 Monthly
$84,156.12 — $102,292.2 Annually
(2% Annual Increase Through FY 2019-20)
- Participation in the Public Employees Retirement System at 2.7% @ 55 for current members (PERS 2.0% @ 62 for new members).
- Employer contribution up to $1,650 per month for medical coverage and 100% employer paid dental and vision coverage. Opt-out option: If employee waives medical coverage, the employee shall be paid $500 per month in additional taxable compensation.
- Life Insurance at $50,000
- 11 paid holidays and 2 floating holidays
- 8 hours of sick leave monthly
- 80 hours administrative leave
- Vacation accrual of 8 hours monthly (less than 5 years), 11.32 hours (5-9 years), 14 hours (10-14 years), and 16 hours (15+ years)
- $50 match for PERS or Hartford 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- The City does not participate in Social Security
Deadline for Filing: 5:00 pm, February 27, 2019
Panel Interviews: March 1, 2019
Selection Interviews: March 11-15, 2019
For more information visit www.hughson.org
Submit application, resume and cover letter to:
Raul Mendez, City Manager
City of Hughson
PO Box 9
7018 Pine Street
Hughson, CA 95326