CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, Exempt
SALARY: Range $87,684 - $123,527 per year, based on 10-step salary schedule
BENEFITS: Benefits include: employee/dependent medical (HMO/PPO), dental, vision, group disability; CalPERS Defined Pension Plan, 457 Plan; and paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
North Bay Schools Insurance Authority (NBSIA) is a mid-sized school-focused risk pool, serving over 10,000 school district employees and over 76,000 students with 31 employees. We provide our member districts with high-quality, cost-effective and innovative protection, programs, and services, so they can focus on what they do best.
NBSIA members and staff are our greatest assets. Our collaborative, team approach, and strong values, are among the reasons NBSIA is known as a premier risk management pool in the state.
Risk Management Expertise
Innovation and Teamwork
This is a great opportunity to bring your exceptional skills to bear in support of our vision – Safe and healthy schools, where people are inspired to work and empowered to learn.
Job specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the job. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, plans and directs accounting activities within the Finance department by performing a variety of duties, personally or through accounting support staff. Plays a key role in the funding strategy and long-term financial security of our organization, including exploring ways to improve our financial position. Provides financial and operational information and analyses to organizational leadership, who rely on and benefit from the information to make informed business decisions. Primary responsibilities will include budgeting and financial reporting. Strong communication skills, leadership, business acumen, and experience are required to be successful in this organization.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to financial management, budget, accounting, and/or payroll.
- Analyzes financial performance against benchmarks and prepares reports showing financial highlights that will enable management to determine progress against budgets.
- Simulates various financial scenarios through financial modeling and analytics to determine best course of action.
- Prepares or directs accurate preparation of various financial statements and reports.
- Oversees maintenance and reconciliation of the general ledger and preparation of month-end journal entries.
- Prepares the annual operating budget and facilitates departmental budget reviews.
- Monitors investment portfolio and cash flows and informs the Executive Director of funding needs and funds available for investment purposes.
- Oversees year-end financial audit and any special audits, and responds to auditor inquiries.
- Coordinates the gathering of data and information for the actuary’s annual liability and funding study.
- Develops year-end net asset calculations for all self-funded programs.
- Directs and ensures the timely and appropriate payment of obligations, including payroll, accounts payable, and CalPERS contributions.
- Directs the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, depreciation, cost, property, and operating expenses.
- Ensures compliance with financial reporting to governmental and regulatory bodies.
- Understands and applies local, state, and federal laws regulating the financial accounting, reporting, and recordkeeping requirements.
- Establishes system controls for and develops procedures to improve financial systems.
- Prepares agenda items, staff reports and memos for the governing board, and participates in and presents at board meetings.
- Prepares RFPs and assists with selection processes for various financial service providers.
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of accounting staff; establishes performance requirements and professional development measures.
- Participates in professional workshops, meetings, and conferences.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal and management abilities.
- Understands the big picture while managing the day-to-day financial details.
Education and Experience
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skill would be:
· Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, or related field required; CPA or MBA preferred.
· 5+ years of experience in a similar financial management position.
· 2+ year of supervisory experience.
· Internal control and audit principles and practices.
· GAAP and GASB accounting standards and requirements preferred.
· Advanced Excel and financial management software skills.
· Proficient in Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
· Strong organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Self-motivated to learn new concepts and participate in projects.
· Clearly communicate information to others, verbally and in writing, and resolve questions.
· Recognize and analyze problems or inefficiencies and provide corrective action to management.
· Prepare statistical and narrative reports in a clear and concise manner.
· Maintain accurate accounting records and files.
· Prioritize work and complete assignments on time.
· Maintain security of confidential materials.
· Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
· Supervise effectively.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential job functions.
Environment:Normal office environment.
Physical: Incumbents require sufficient mobility to work in an office setting and operate office equipment.
Vision: Vision sufficient to read small print, computer screens and other printed documents.