||City of Lafayette
|Type of Position:
Description & Details
An Outstanding Opportunity
The City of Lafayette (pop. 24,000) is recruiting for the position of Accounting Assistant. Lafayette prides itself on its vibrant downtown, beautiful tree-studded hillsides and great schools. Lafayette residents expect personalized service to deliver customized solutions to the community’s unique priorities. This position will be part of the team whose mission is to support the staff and Council to ensure that Lafayette retains its semi-rural character and "small town" downtown feel.
This position will primarily be responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, annual reporting to other agencies and fixed asset tracking.
This is a challenging job in a great city! The new Accounting Assistant will be joining a staff of dedicated, energetic and fun professionals.
Major duties include:
- Review and process invoices for City expenditures
- Prepare checks for review and approval
- Prepare 1099 forms at year end according to tax rules
- Reconcile daily deposits for accuracy and miscoded entries
- Monitor petty cash accounts
- Reconcile bank records to general ledger accounts
- Cross train on duties with Accountant position, including payroll
- Manage accounts receivable in coordination with City departments
- ¨Maintain budget system
- ¨Prepare annual reports for outside agencies
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have familiarity with principles, procedures, methods, and practices of public and governmental accounting. Qualified candidates should be familiar with bookkeeping and accounting procedures including accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. Associate of Arts degree in finance, accounting or other closely related field and two years of progressively responsible accounting and finance experience in a private firm or public agency. Any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job listed above may be substituted on a year-to-year basis.
The salary range for the position is $53,954 — $70,971. Lafayette also provides an attractive benefits package that includes:
- A 401-A retirement plan with City-paid monthly contributions of 10% of salary with the option of a 5% match as well as City-paid social security contributions. Lafayette does not participate in PERS.
- City-subsidized health and dental insurance, as well as life
insurance and disability insurance.
- 12 paid holidays and up to 20 days of annual vacation, depending on tenure.
- Challenging, interesting work; opportunities for innovation and creativity; family friendly policies; and casual dress.
How to Apply / Contact
Final filing date is April 5, 2019. To be considered, you must submit a City of Lafayette Employment Application, plus relevant materials that amplify your qualifications. You must apply online at www.lovelafayette.org/jobs. For questions, please email [email protected]
Following the filing date, resumes will be screened and candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to interviews in April with an anticipated start date of May 2019.