0932 Director of Strategy, Innovation & Change, SFPUC
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
Recruitment # PBT-0932-095098
Full job description and to apply, visit: https://jobapscloud.com/SF/sup/BulPreview.asp?R1=PBT&R2=0932&R3=095098&Viewer=Admin&Test=Y
The Assistant General Manager of Business Services and CFO (AGM/CFO) manages a dedicated team of approximately 300 employees delivering a range of services to internal and external customers of the Commission. Business Services consists of several large divisions including Customer Services, Financial Services, and Information Technology Services. Reporting directly to the AGM/CFO, the Director of Strategy Innovation and Change (SIC) is responsible for programs and projects aimed at delivering excellent customer service, ensuring impeccable stewardship of resources, promoting long-term financial sustainability and cultivating a culture of excellence. The SIC director will be working with senior leaders of the SFPUC on critical, highly visible projects.
Key areas of focus will be developing and supporting a Business Services approach to strategic planning, business planning, and performance management; delivering service improvements and efficiencies through innovation and change management; supporting enterprise-wide programs including safety, risk and emergency management.
Much of the work of the group will be accomplished through leadership and management of multidisciplinary project teams. With four direct reports, the SIC Director must be able to effectively partner across the organization to charter, manage and drive initiatives to conclusion.
Essential Duties Will Include:
General management and administration—responsible for the day to day activities of the division including:
• Development of goals, objectives and priorities of the division
• Management, coaching and development of staff and the promotion of a productive, positive and respectful workplace
• Partnering with senior leadership by maintaining collaborative working relationships with executive sponsors, business owners and key stakeholders
Strategic Planning, Business Planning, & Performance Management—work with Business Services senior management to develop and support a planning and management framework focused on:
• Identification of customer needs, service level clarity, performance metrics, and channels for customer input and feedback
• Development of business planning tools that ensure alignment of divisional efforts with overall strategic objectives, help team members see how their work ties to overall organizational goals, and supports an accountable, results-oriented culture
• Development of uniform performance management tools that clearly link work efforts to business planning objectives
Innovation & Change Management—promote service improvements and efficiencies throughout Business Services by:
• Leading a portfolio of high-impact improvement/change projects that involve technology implementations or deployment
• Partnering to develop training within Business Services for critical competencies in project, change and innovation management
• Building a culture of innovation and excellence throughout Business Services
Enterprise-Wide Programmatic Support—support critical SFPUC programs including:
• Enterprise Risk Management—administer SFPUC Risk Management Program to ensure successful continued implementation of the Enterprise Risk Management framework
• Safety Management—coordinate Business Services activities related to workplace health and safety
• Emergency Management—coordinate Business Services activities related to emergency management and business continuity
The Director of Strategy, Innovation and Change will also perform other related duties as required.
A successful candidate will be an experienced management professional who is resourceful and possesses a ‘self-starter’ attitude; is resilient and tenacious; who can effectively manage complex projects; and can exercise sound judgment and decision-making in situations that are complex, sensitive and, at times, ambiguous in nature.
The following SFPUC leadership competencies are critical for success in the role of the Director of Strategy, Innovation and Change.
Relationship Management – Leverages outstanding communication skills to build open, honest, and respectful relationships, developing networks and lasting partnerships across boundaries to maintain strategic relationships and achieve common goals. Engages and works collaboratively with the active unions, diverse neighborhoods, other departments and the SFPUC’s Executive Team.
Strategic Planning – Formulates objectives and priorities, implements plans, and allocates resources to achieve the long-term goals of the organization.
Business Acumen - Leverages business concepts, terms, and tools to achieve desired outcomes and develop sound budgets and plans surrounding the financial and operational functions of the organization.
Change Management – Provides active and visible sponsorship for change initiatives in order to drive the adoption and usage of new solutions to fully realize organizational benefits and project objectives.
Accountability – Inspires trust by acting with integrity, honesty, and fairness. Holds self and others to their roles and responsibilities. Acts as a responsible steward of the resources entrusted to the SFPUC.
Risk Management – Identifies, assesses, and mitigates operational, financial, legal, or health and safety risks impacting the organization's achievement of strategic goals and objectives.
Talent Management – Builds and develops a highly-skilled workforce based on organizational goals, budget considerations, and staffing needs. Creates succession planning strategies to address an aging workforce.
Innovation – Creates a thriving culture in which employees feel both safe and encouraged to explore new ideas and improve existing ones. Voices opinions, remaining open to feedback, diverse perspectives, and embraces opportunities for improvement and change.
Safety Excellence - Actively promotes a safety culture of the highest standard by allocating resources, ensuring compliance, and creating policies aligned with industry best practices.
If you are interested in a job like this, we are looking for people that have the following:
Possession of a baccalaureate degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Public or Business Administration, Finance, Strategic Planning, Project Management or other closely related program.
Five (5) years of professional experience in strategic planning, project management, change management, risk management or closely related field of which 3 years must include experience supervising professionals.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
• Experience successfully managing complex technology implementations or deployments
• Ability to work independently or in a collaborative effort with others effectively and efficiently in high stress situations involving last minute projects.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and be able to make complex judgments without negatively impacting others.
• Excellent interpersonal communication, presentation and writing.
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
Equal Employment Opportunity