The Accountant position is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to join a talented and dedicated Finance team. If you are detail oriented and want to serve a dynamic and beautiful community, the City of Poway encourages you to apply!
The Accountant audits, analyzes, and verifies fiscal records and reports, prepares financial and statistical reports, provides information to City staff regarding accounting practices and procedures, reconciles general ledger accounts; assists in preparing the City's annual budgets; prepares year-end audit reports and schedules.
This position receives general supervision from the Finance Manager or assigned supervisor. Exercises no direct supervision over staff.
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Provides responsible professional and technical assistance in the administration and implementation of the City's financial, auditing, and accounting programs.
- Prepares a variety of financial and statistical reports, including year-end reporting, budgetary, Comprehensive Annual Finance Report (CAFR), and other legal documents, and management analysis.
- Monitors expenditures, revenues, and budget allocations to determine the City's financial status and prepares custom reports, graphs, and schedules as needed.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles general ledger and subsidiary accounts; prepares and distributes monthly financial statements and expenditure reports.
- Analyzes and reconciles expenditure and revenue accounts, including bond accounts and reconciliation of bond statements to the general ledger, and reconciliation of bank statements to the general ledger.
- Participates in and assumes responsibility for various departmental programs including financial statements, general ledger, monthly statements, and special projects accounting; conducts and prepares special studies and reports.
- Records and maintains appropriate controls for fixed assets; assists in the City's purchase orders and accounts payable system, auditing and financial analysis, grant accounting, and special reports.
- Maintains and monitors the City's Grant Funds and ensures compliance with rules and regulations governing the use of each grant.
- Tracks Capital Improvement Project expenditures and allocates funds to the appropriate Capital Improvement Project account.
- Performs annual audit of the City's Gas and Water inventories; conducts on-site inspections of said inventories, records current levels, and reconciles any discrepancies.
- Assists in the coordination of the annual audits.
- Assists with investments, portfolio management and cash management, debt management, new financing, annexations and subdivisions, and revenue and expense projections.
- Participates in the compilation and preparation of the annual budget, including assisting other departments with budget preparation, providing estimated grant revenues and expenditures, monitoring expenditures to ensure compliance with adopted budget, and assisting in publication of the budget.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions, and reviews publications to remain current on principles, practices, and new developments in accounting.
- Maintains attendance and punctuality that is observant of scheduled hours on a regular basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please visit www.poway.org/jobs for more information on the job and application process.