||City of Glendora
|Type of Position:
||High School / GED
Description & Details
The City of Glendora seeks a knowledgeable and experienced Payroll Accountant to join our dynamic, award winning Finance Team! If you are highly motivated, with strong organizational techniques and have proven professional skills in payroll processing this is the opportunity for you!
The ideal candidate will have experience handling confidential information, be energetic, and have a forward-thinking attitude. Technical experience with payroll software in a municipal finance environment is HIGHLY desirable. If you enjoy a challenge and thrive in a fast paced, fluid environment we invite your application!
Under general supervision, performs technical and professional accounting duties and maintenance of the City’s payroll transactions and records, ensuring that the payroll function is carried out in an accurate, timely manner in accordance with legal requirements and sound financial accounting principles and practices. Participates in accounting activities for the City; financial reporting, budget, auditing, grants, and general ledger entries; performs related duties as required.
Some of the typical duties of the Payroll Accountant include but are not limited to the following:
- Processes and prepares bi-weekly City payroll and ensures accuracy and confidentiality of records and information. Ensures payroll is calculated in accordance with legal requirements, City policies, and labor contract provisions.
- Prepares journal entries and adjustments to the general and subsidiary accounting and payroll ledgers; assists in closing the City’s financial records at the end of the accounting period.
- Prepares a variety of detailed accounting, statistical, and/or narrative financial statements or reports requiring analysis and interpretation of source data; does analysis of fiscal transactions to ensure conformity and compliance with GAAP, City codes and ordinances, and state and federal requirements.
- Conducts and/or coordinates internal/external audits of financial records; examines, analyzes and verifies documents to ensure adherence to established internal controls and accepted professional standards.
- Performs complex account reconciliations, verifying accuracy of recorded transactions; prepares related worksheets and other schedules.
- Ensures the compliance of City rules and regulations with applicable local, state, and federal regulations; may lead or participate in discussions regarding payroll related issues; monitors legislation to determine impact on department operations and programs.
- Assists in monitoring budgets for various City departments and projects; determines if funds are available and expenditures are properly classified; researches and analyzes transactions to resolve budget problems; assists in annual budget preparation.
- Provides information and general assistance to City employees regarding payroll activities, processes, policies and procedures; assists in resolving routine problems or complaints with tact and confidentiality; researches policies, laws and procedures to answer questions and respond to requests for information; explains and applies interpretations of Finance/payroll procedures, policies and rules; as a designated representative of the department, may attend conferences, meetings and/or public functions.
- Participates in the development and implementation of new or revised programs, systems, procedures, and methods of operation; and record keeping practices; stays abreast of changes and developments in the payroll field; compile and analyze data and make recommendations.
- Direct the work activities of others involved in related activity and review work for accuracy; recommend improvements in work flow procedures and use of equipment and forms.
- Prepares and monitors programs and related proposals; prepares quarterly and annual reports; monitors compliance of contracts and/or agreements.
- Performs all related duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Acts as temporary relief for other accountant functions as required.
How to Apply / Contact
APPLY ONLINE AT: www.CalOpps.org. A completed online employment application is required and must be submitted at www.calopps.org. Incomplete, late, emailed, faxed, and hard copy applications are not accepted. Resumes are not considered in lieu of the required employment application available at CalOpps. Certificates, resumes, and cover letters must be uploaded with your application on the CalOpps website. The City of Glendora is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, religion, national origin, marital status, medical condition or disability. Please notify the Human Resources & Risk Management Department in advance if you require special accommodations to participate in any phase of the selection process.