Under the direction of the Finance Manager, the Staff Accountant - Financial Reporting performs technical professional accounting work requiring comprehensive knowledge of municipal finance functions, government fund accounting, enterprise fund accounting and automated accounting systems.
Responsibilities include developing and maintaining various reports and backup, preparing and reviewing budget reconciliations, journal entries and assisting with year-end close, preparation of various financial reports including annual financial statements, quarterly budgetary reports, and various federal, state, and local grantor reports.
· Prepares routine journal entries such as adjusting entries, accrual entries and budgetary entries
· Reconciles balance sheet accounts; analyzes and reports on budget to actual variances
· Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options
· Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents
· Maintains financial security by following internal controls
· Answers accounting procedure questions by researching and interpreting accounting policy and regulations
· Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies and anticipate necessary changes to the accounting system and financial reporting models
· Provides full back up to the Staff Accountant and the Accountant
· Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
· Maintains accounting controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures
· Prepares annual and periodic financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles for local government
· Prepares special financial reports, including quarterly financial reports for the TJPA Board and quarterly/semi-annual/annual reports required by funders, by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends
· Prepares a variety of routine to complex accounting and financial reconciliations, reports and statements
· Participates in financial audits including annual audit and funding agency audits
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field, and four years in governmental accounting which includes analyzing, recording and reporting financial transactions for governmental organizations and interpreting Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); Working knowledge and three (3) years of experience in preparing financial statements such as balance sheets, statement of net assets, statement of revenues, expenditures and changes in fund balances and Statement of Cash Flows; preferred experience at the municipal or county government level is desired
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Principles, practices, and standards of governmental fund accounting
· Demonstrated ability in the preparation of financial statements in accordance with generally acceptance accounting principles for local government.
· Demonstrated ability in the use of Excel, Word, and automated governmental accounting systems.
· Applicable Federal, State and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
· Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
· Effective written and oral communication skills