||Monte Vista Water District
|Type of Position:
Description & Details
"Dedicated to Quality, Service, and Innovation"
Range 246: $5,645 - $7,411 per month
This is a professional accounting classification that exercise discretion and independent judgment in performing accounting and financial activities for the District. Successful performance of the work requires considerable knowledge of governmental accounting practices and procedures, fund accounting, and fiscal management.
- Provides responsible professional and technical assistance in the administration and implementation of the District's financial, auditing, and accounting programs and activities including accounts payable, receivable, payroll, and reporting.
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles general ledger, subsidiary accounts, and other accounting transactions and reports; compiles, prepares and maintains financial schedules, reports and spreadsheets.
- Assists in preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and footnotes; prepares a variety of periodic and special financial reports for operational use, and for presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Analyzes and reconciles expenditure and revenue accounts, verifying availability of funds and classification of expenditures; researches and analyzes transactions to resolve problems.
- Reviews accounting documents to ensure accurate information and calculations, and makes original and correcting journal entries; examines supporting documentation for accuracy and completeness, and to ensure proper authorizations; prepares and maintains control and subsidiary accounting records involving fixed assets and other special accounts; processes entries to open and close work orders for construction and other projects.
- Coordinates and performs grants administration and reporting; ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations; initiates bond construction fund reimbursements.
- Verifies the accuracy of timekeeping reports and calculations; researches discrepancies and makes corrections; prepares state and federal tax reports, W-2’s, and 1099’s.
- Participates in the compilation and preparation of the annual budget, including assisting other departments with budget preparation, providing estimated grant revenues and expenditures, monitoring expenditures to ensure compliance with adopted budget, and assisting in publication of the budget.
- Assists in preparing audit schedules for external auditors and assists the Accounting Supervisor during the annual auditing process; confers with managers and staff regarding new or modified fiscal procedures and ensures that internal controls are observed.
How to Apply / Contact
A District application is required and may be obtained in the Human Resources office. The job functions listed are a representation of responsibilities. A complete job description is available in HR.
Education and Experience:
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, business or public administration, or a related field.
- Two (2) years of professional accounting experience. Experience in a governmental or public utility setting is desirable.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License by time of appointment.
First Review 5/22/2020