With 1.4 million customers, over 1,900 employees, a $2.3 billion biannual budget and $3 billion debt portfolio, the East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is one of the largest water/wastewater utilities in California. EBMUD is a recognized leader in water supply planning, capital planning, and financial management.
Reporting to the Treasury Manager in the Finance Department, the Principal Management Analyst (PMA) will be responsible for a range of financial activities. The PMA’s primary responsibility will be to administer EBMUD’s debt portfolio, including the management of outstanding debt obligations and new issuances. In addition, the PMA will be responsible for supporting other members of the Treasury Division with water/wastewater rate setting activities, cash flow analyses, and management of EBMUD’s investment portfolio as requested. More specifically, the PMA will be responsible for the following activities:
· Managing EBMUD's debt financing activities including analysis of financing options, transaction structuring, documentation, disclosure, credit ratings, pre-pricing, pricing and closing.
· Administering EBMUD’s outstanding debt portfolio, including ensuring debt service and debt-related fees and charges are accurately calculated and paid on time; addressing expiration of liquidity facilities and managing other debt-related agreements.
· Complying with legal and regulatory requirements such as continuing disclosure and tax reporting.
· Administering consulting contracts and managing service provider requests for proposals (RFPs).
· Developing and maintaining relationships with rating agencies, investors, investment banks, liquidity banks and other service providers.
· Preparing and evaluating near and long-term debt financing plans in the context of EBMUD capital plans, liquidity position, and financial policies.
· Researching, preparing and maintaining policies and procedures pertaining to debt management.
· Conducting complex financial analyses associated with debt planning, rate setting, and long-term financial planning.
· Budgeting, monitoring and projecting rate revenue.
· Supporting cash management activities as requested.
· Assisting with the management of EBMUD’s investment portfolio as requested.
· Assisting with other finance department activities as requested.
The ideal candidate will:
· demonstrate a strong work ethic, enthusiasm for the job, excitement for learning, attention to detail and sound judgment.
· have prior work experience in municipal debt management, investment management and/or utility rates and charges.
· possess very strong analytical and quantitative modeling skills.
· effectively communicate complex financial information to non-technical audiences.
· ensure that all activity is conducted with the utmost integrity.
· have a Master's degree in business, finance, economics, public administration, or other relevant field.
· have senior-level professional experience in public finance, investment management and/or public utility rate setting.
The annual salary is $120,228 up to $173,640. Initial placement within the range is based upon qualifications. Appointment is typically made at or below the control point ($156,300 per year).
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
Any combination of education and experience that has led to the acquisition of the knowledge and abilities indicated above. Typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge and abilities is a combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Bachelor's degree* in business or public administration, economics, finance, or a closely related field.
2. Five years of progressively responsible professional experience in public finance.
*A Master's degree in a related field may be substituted for one year of the required experience.